Thursday, August 23, 2012

Goth Tip #4

Take some time to look after your leather boots. Polishing them is easy and makes them waterproof.
I use Kiwi polish, a boot brush, an old shirt, and a pair of old pantyhose. I line up my boots and do them in turn. Here is how I do it:
  • Make sure your boots are clean. No dirt or anything on the leather.
  • Put on some good music, maybe Sisters of Mercy. This will stop boredom, and you'll start to think of how great your boots will look when dancing.
  • Use an old shirt as your polish rag. Get a bit of polish and work it over the boot. Start at the toe and work around. The polish will look matte against the leather. Do a bit of rubbing in circular motions.
  • Take a boot brush and buff off the polish.
  • Next wet your cloth a bit so that it's damp but not dripping, take a bit of polish and rub on the boots again. This is the same as 'spit shining' boots, only you don't have to spit. Well, you can if you feel like it :) Make sure that your cloth stays damp and enough polish is being used. Use a circular motion when polishing.
  • Buff the shoes again with a brush
  • Take a pair of old pantyhose. Rub the pantyhose over the boots to buff them up, this takes off any excess polish and makes the shoes shine. I don't know why, but it really works! My shoes look so nice and shiney afterwards.
  • You're DONE! Your boots should now look black and clean.
This is how I polish my boots. I might have got it all wrong, but this technique works for me. Hope that it helps you

3 comments:

Sophie said...

Nice post, there's no point in spending loads of money on some wicked boots if you aren't going to take care of them :)

With my New Rocks, I take some time to buff all the metal bits with metal polish, but maybe that's just me being a perfectionist ^^ xx

Natalie said...

Sophie: It's great that you look after your New Rocks. I hope you blind people with how shiney they are :)

Sophie said...

I hope so, that could be my superpower ;) hehe. Nah people always ask if they're new though :') xx