Tuesday, May 14, 2013

I've Fractured My Ankle!

I'm currently writing from my bed, my foot in a cast. On Sunday I was getting off the bus and fell down the strairs, hurting my ankle badly.
Luckily, two nice girls from Switzerland helped me hobble home. I thought I only had a sprain, but I went to the doctors and got an xray and found out that I had a fracture!
I've never had a broken bone before, so it was a bit scary and very stressful. I got a cast put on my leg, and now I'm going to be stuck in bed for a whole week.
It sucks a bit, because I live by myself so I don't have anyone to help me.

I have to go to the hospital next week, because I may need surgery :(

I feel really stupid by hurting myself. I just hope that I'll be all healed by October, when I'm going away on my holiday.
I walk EVERYWHERE, so it's going to be really difficult for me to get anywhere. I'm just planning on spending this week in bed. I've been given crutches, but I find them very hard to use.

8 comments:

Grimms said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your injury, hope you heal quick. Do you have health insurance? One of the chaplains at the hospital where I work broke her ankle and got this really cool scooter to use instead of crutches. I had never seen one before, but apparently there are several manufacturers putting them out. Mabe you can get one. Here's a link to one place here that sells them so you have an idea what they're like: http://www.activeforever.com/knee-walkers-scooters

Natalie said...

I do have health insurance, but we have a pretty good health system here in Australia. I'm hoping to get a walking boot, I don't think I'd enjoy a scooter!

Insomniac's Attic said...

OMG, Natalie - that does suck!I hope it'll be fine for your trip, too!

Those Swiss are awfully nice, aren't they? And I'm not just saying that because I have family there or anything ... ;o)

Laura Morrigan said...

That sucks, hope it ends up ok! Don;t worry about hurting yourself in silly ways. I broke one little toe sliding down a slide head first cause some kids who came over convinced us to when I was little. I broke the other little toe on a chairleg in my own home. I tore my nail away from the finger a bit the other day (but its ok now) squashing a HUUUUGE spider. I also hurt myself running along a bench at school with friends and jumping into a longjump pit that the IDIOT athletics committee saw fit to have concrete at the edge of. hence torn up knees. Oh and I also got my finger stuck in the door as a kid and had my hand CHEWED by a DONKEY as a kid, so you cannot feel silly now, ok!

Maria Alexander said...

I really wish you the best and easiest recovery!! I hope you won't be needing a surgery after all. Don't be bad about it, it's not your fault. One does not break a bone on purpose in order not to go to the UK and Berlin ;) At least you have plenty of time to rest, I'm sending you hugs!!!

Meagan Kyla said...

Ack! Wishing you a very quick heal! If I was there I'd draw bats on your cast and we'd walk music videos and eat lots of snacks. ;)

Lucretia said...

Oh, Natalie, I'm so sorry!! That totally SUCKS. I hope you heal quickly and don't need any surgery. And you WILL be able to go on your trip, accept no other outcome!!

J.Bane said...

Sorry to hear you're hurt. :( Breaking a bone is scary! I'm wishing you speedy healing!