Monday, August 17, 2015

Melbourne Adventure! Day Two and Three

Saturday, Day 2:
Back at Federation Square, near Flinders Street station. This morning will be spent with Amanda, and her group, at the Bowie exhibition.

Excited about the exhibition in front of the ACMI sign.

There was a lot of Bowie imagery inside the ACMI.


Here is the bad news, I couldn't take any photos inside the exhibition!!!! :(
I'm a bit sad that I couldn't take photos. At the start of the tour we were given quality Sennheiser headphones with the usual neck box thing you're given during art exhibitions. The sound production for the exhibition was great, when you walked around to different rooms it changed the audio.

The exhibition itself was very busy, I'm not sure if that's due to being a Saturday or if Bowie is really popular. Anyway, it was very difficult to see some of the items due to the large amount of people crowding around.
I highly recommend the film companion to "David Bowie Is", it really captures what's available to see at the exhibition and how it feels to be there. If you cannot see the exhibition, watch the film!

The items followed his life, from early childhood around Post-Blitz London through adolescence and things that inspired him.
I couldn't pick one item of his I enjoyed seeing the most, but I really liked seeing his different inspirations and handwritten lyrics. His costumes and outfits were very surreal to see in real life, sometimes it's hard to believe that Bowie is a man and not some God-like creature.

Some of the best things about exhibitions is the souvenirs at the gift store. The selection at the gift store was small, and very expensive. One magnet cost $12!!
I purchased this hardcover book for $70. It's a very nice book, I suggest buying it if you're a Bowie fan and you don't get the chance to see the exhibition.


I really liked the bag I got with the book ;-)

The ACMI also holds some items from Australian film and tv. Here is a Mad Max Interceptor!

Here is exhibition hall while walking back to the hostel. It looks very pretty in the sunset.

I really loved this rundown building. I wish I could live in something like this.

Sunday, Day 3: The Lion King!
I got up early on day 3 and walked to the Queen Victoria Markets to meet Amanda (and company). Here is the walk through the exhibition gardens (same building I photographed at sunset the day before). 

I saw this awesome fountain.

Also ducks!
At the Queen Victoria Markets we got some hot jam donuts, and I purchased a few items from the stalls.
We then headed off the see the Lion King at the Regent Theatre. I was very excited, as this show has not traveled to Perth yet.

This is the photo from me seat, we were third row!
I really enjoyed the show, I'm a huge fan of Disney/The Lion King. We had priority tickets, so we also got a drink, ice cream, and programme.

Dinner at Big Boy BBQ. Omg, this burger was great. This had beef brisket, cheese, and fried onion strings. I was excited to try brisket, because I've never had it before (we don't get American BBQ in Perth). The meal was awesome, and I finished off with a peanut butter cream pie. Amanda and her friends shared a meat platter, it looked awesome!

Next day: Exploring Melbourne by myself at the Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries Costume Exhibition!

4 comments:

Doctor Z said...

You look so excited to see the exhibition! :) Most museums won't let folks take photos in big, traveling shows. Too much light via the flash can ruin the objects.

Miss Fisher?!? OH HELL YEAH! *runs to get popcorn* I can't wait!

J.Bane said...

Woo! So much fun! :D I look forward to the next post.
Quite right, that building is awesome!

Vulcan_Butterfly said...

The David Bowie exhibition looks awesome!

kakuidori said...

looks like a nice trip :-D